There are different types of fear and several reasons you fear. It is better to imagine the effect of fear than experiencing its crushing power. Fear has its good side though. But here I will be focusing on the negative sides of fear. Fear was one of the aftermaths of the fall in Eden, yet you can overcome its grip on you.
I am glad to inform you that overcoming fear strategies is not as difficult and painful as its creeping power I was a casualty of prostrated fear for quite a long while. It was bad to where it influenced each part of my life: work, well-being, relationship, and profound life. In at all, I do wherever I go I will be perplexed. I will be anxious going to work, to chapel, party, bank, and so forth. My experience was shocking that I don’t have a regular signature.
Thus, I can offer you the same principles I used to overcome it then. These are time-tested, scientifically proven, and Bible base solution. Yet it is not a-run off-the- mill strategies, but, with conscious, deliberate, persistent, and steady steps fear will gradually fizzle out in your life.
1. Work on your knowledge base. A problem known is half solved. What you don’t know, is above you. This is why medical professionals will say the accurate diagnosis is half the cure. Fundamentally, you must identify major issues about your fear. Firstly, what type of fear are you addressing? Is fear just a mere emotion? What triggers your fear? What has been its effect on you or those you know or read about in the past?Since each of us has different challenges about fear, you need to identify your own. You’re a likely to take a case serious If you realize it’s important or the inherent danger.
So check and compare the damage fear has done to you. Imagine if not abated, what could be the further damage. The outcome will uncover that it isn’t the will of God for you to be frightful. Regardless, you should distinguish between the needed concerns and unwarranted fear.
2. Belief in the reality of fear: This is a twofold truth. One, know and believe your fearfulness, is not a mere emotion, but the evil spirit from the devil to torment you. Second, that it is possible to overcome the devil.
These scriptures confirm this for God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.2Timothy 1:7. Romans 8:15-16. If God has not given us the spirit of fear, then the devil does. You will not be able to stand against the devil if you aren’t coming to terms with the possibility of winning. Your faith level in the word of God, yourself and other antidote is your sure guarantee fear like any other problem has a solution. If you are truthful to yourself, overcoming fear becomes earlier.
Jesus sees anxiety the twin sister of fear as an unbelievers attitude and by implication a sin Matthew 6:32. This is how spiritually serious fear is for any Christian.
3. Be reconciled with God and men: One of the major causes of fear results from broken relationships. The first record of fear in Genesis3 was the aftermath of Adam and Eve’s broken fellowship with God. Jacob was hesitant to meet Esau because of the devastation he did to him. It isn’t strange to be frightful when you are not in good term with a man. In this way, accommodating with the affronted individual (s) or God is a certain approach to conquering fear. A good relationship contrast, fear.
Watch your food intake: Just as what we eat physically affects our physical well being, so also our spiritual food intake affect our fear level. Religious fanatics’ acts on the negative information they fed them with that were why they went about killing and destroying innocent people everywhere. Avoid negative news. Keep away from films and magazine that will develop your fear level. On the off chance that you stick around with individuals who are negative you’ll be loaded with debilitation, dread and nervousness Luke 6:45, Matthew 12:34.
If you daily load your taught with negative information, the statement from people and situations around, you’ll soon become a negative person. Similarly, as your eating regimen may be, the kind of data you nourish your brain will deliver the same outcome in your mind.
4. Identify what triggers your fair: What triggers our fear differs. Some are afraid of height, water, violent movies, blood, etc. Once you identify your trigger you have overcome your fear. Overcoming fear becomes easier if you know what sparks such fear. Any or all of the following could induce fear: new challenges, deadline, disappointment, experience, inferiority, domination, etc.
5. Change your thought pattern: Fear is the inverse of faith. Anyone who is fearful can be “faith-full”. Rather than considering the negative results focus on the positive outcome. This is on account of the possibility of coming up short is the same as the odds of succeeding. You’re dreadful in light of the envision torment and disgrace of disappointment, But to defeat your dread envision the beauty and Joy of triumph and achievement Province 23:7.Part of overcoming fear strategies is to switch between high expectation from the human being to God.
6. Dare your fear: The best form of defense is offensive. Running away from what you are afraid of is being like postponing the doomsday. When I was growing up we had this bully in our neighborhood. Though I was older than he was but this boy was wild.
One day, we had a fight. Not surprisingly, I was fleeing from him. Before long I stopped, turned against him. I stood my ground and to my surprise, he couldn’t come near me. To show I mean business, I took a stick strikes him about three times without any reply or response from him. I delivered myself from that day. I made a choice though it appears suicidal. Today the boy (now a man) still references me. That is how to defeat the devil and fear.
You can act like the four lepers at the gate of Samaria. If we say, we will enter into the city, then the famine is in the city, and we shall die there: and if we sit still here, we die also. Now therefore come, and let us fall unto the host of the Syrians: if they save us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall but die. And they rose up in the twilight, to go unto the camp of the Syrians: and when they were come to the uttermost part of the camp of Syria, behold, there was no man there.2 King 7:4-5. By facing your fear headlong, chances are those outcomes you feared either never existed or not justifiable.
7. Imagine the worst scenario: This one tip I utilized routinely at whatever point I confront any test of faith.What is the worst that can happen in this case? I usually conclude if the worst that can happen in this situation will not take away my life, then I have no reason to be fearful. You can overcome your fear if you call to mind several people that have overcome similar or terrible situation than what you are currently passing through. History abounds of people that were once written off only to turn around to be one of the shakers in the society. Mind you failure is not the end, but an experience of how not to do it.
8. Use the power of testimony: Revelation 12:11. One of the overcoming strategies that have helped me over time is the power of testimony. Testimony is like your bank savings and insurance policy, you can cash on in time of need. It works this way, If God has done something for me before then, He will do this. If I had overcome some challenges before I will overcome this.
Testimonies are faith booster. It is a sure weapon to overcome fear. Usually, people will earn your trust based on their antecedents. So testimony as one of the overcoming fear strategies implies you’ve enjoyed God’s divine intervention over time to build confidence that he will yet attend to you now.
9. Apply the word of God: Prayer as part of the overcoming fear strategies in one weapon that has stood the test of time. Locate some scriptural passages that address your situation. When the spirit of fear was terrorizing me, I located 2timothy 1:7. Though I still fear, the situation is life treating, and the signs are all over me, yet I say the word anyway. Pastor K.C price applied this same method. The man of God said if someone asked him when he is sick “Fred how are you feeling today? He will reply “I have not been checking my feeling lately, but I have been checking the word of God. The word of God says, “but he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes, we are healed” Isaiah 53:5.
10. Be competent: Proverb 22:29 Lack of competence is a sure invitation to failure. Overcoming your fear will become a mirage if you do not have adequate preparation nor the needed competence in your choosing career or endeavor. It doesn’t matter if you’re going for a job interview, examination, journey, business appointment or medical appointment. Failure to adequately prepare is a breeding ground for fear and failure.
11. Take a break: It is amazing to know we are the architect of both our fortune and misfortune. Most time our busy schedules beclouded our sense of judgment, hence become apprehensive about the next happening one of the best overcoming fear strategies anyone can use is to take time off in order to refresh, release and rejuvenate. Stress aggravates induces and aggravate fear. Your best bet when you are fearful is to relax and defer your decision to another time. This allows you to have a fresh look at the situation. By the time you return you’ll discover your fear is unjustifiable.
12. Use Stephen Covey matrix principle: Multitasking or the anxiety to get several tasks done at the same time is one major fear trigger. Unfortunately, you only have 24 hours and 7days in a week. Yet you want all tasks done with precision. No doubt you are overwhelmed. Though this principle is for effective time management, but it can be one of the overcoming fear strategies that are workable. It simply says when we organize our time will have gets more things done with less stress and our phobia level reduces. It separates the urgent from the important task.
This is how Covey explain the application of the matrix. (1) Urgent and important (I must do it now) (2) Non urgent but important (Fix a time to do it) (3) Urgent and not important (Delegates the responsibility to someone else) (4) Non urgent and not important (It) can wait for any convenient time). As you can see if we key into these strategies most of the situation that causes you fear will fizzle out naturally.
13. Try Maslow theory: More often than not the perceived failure and the inability to meet needs or set target causes fear. According to Maslow higher needs will always give way to lower needs in human preference whenever we have a conflict in our choice. For instance, the desire for a car will give way to the desire for food and health. Therefore, you should approach life this way by focusing on one need at a time. No other overcoming fear strategies that are more than this.
In the same vein motivate yourself will praise as you overcome fear in a particular area as you expect more advances in another area. This also goes for the ways you thank God. If you develop a thankful spirit for the little God did for you, in a way you motivate him (So to say) to do more.
Overcoming fear principle is not a quick fix idea. Getting over your fear takes a slow and steady process. Pat yourself on the back as you notice a slight change.
I base my confidence in the highlighted overcoming fear strategies on my personal experience as a victim of fear. Though your recovery chart may be different from others or mine, if rightly appropriated, it is certainly a sure bet.
Which of these methods has helped you before? Of all, I listed which one do you plan to start implementing now? Add any other methods that can alleviate fear in the comment box below. Please don’t forget to share this post on your preferred social networks. Don’t leave without subscribing to my email list for an update on my latest post.
Sharing is caring!
Author: Joseph Akinrinola
Joseph Akinrinola is a Pastor, Sunday school management coach, author, blogger, and a motivational speaker.
Joseph created this blog to help young Christians establish their
feet in Christ, and to provide Biblical time-tested answers to life’s
questions about relationship, christian living and personal development.