Do you fear? Do you wonder why you fear? If your answer to these questions is yes, look no further. In a short while, I will be uncovering reasons you fear and why you shouldn’t. It is a silent killer. Fear kills physically and spiritually. It works in a subtle way and any unwary individual can be its casualty. What am I discussing here? Fear. What causes fear and why you must deal with it is the focus of this post. Don’t forget what made others afraid may not be the same reasons you fear.
What is fear? Fear is the emotional feeling that something negative might happen. It is preempting effect of an action or reaction. It is amazing to note that what causes fear is not as devastating as the thought of negative happening. Reasons you fear may be different from other. But if you can identify reasons you fear it will be easier to deal with them. Certain thing causes fear and that includes but not restricted to the followings.
1. SIN: The word fear appeared first in the book of Genesis 3:10 in Adam’s dialogue with God after his disobedience. The causes of fear are vividly captured in this passage of the scripture
The wicked flee when no one pursues, But the righteous are bold as a lion. Proverb 28:1 NKJV. Unfortunately the most obvious of all reasons you fear is sin. reason
The expected penalty for defaulting prompted Adam & his wife to hide. You know how fearful and withdrawn we’ll be if, our parent gave us a task and we defaulted when they are leaving for work in the morning. You’ll eagerly meet mom or dad if you have no skeleton in your cupboard. Be that as it may, the reverse will be the case if you’ve done something wrong. A sinner has every reason to be afraid for two reasons. One that God will not handle sin found in anyone with a gloved hand. Two, the sinner believes in the rule of circumstances and the end result. Good begets good and evil beget evil.
The fantasy of meeting with God daily vanished as soon as Adam & Eve sinned. The dread of sin will keep a man from drawing close to those meant to help him. Fear grips a person who lives a wayward life where other talked about sexually transmitted disease. An armed or pen robber, drug peddler or cheat would have every reason to be afraid when he learned of the law enforcement agent visiting the company or his residence. Any form of sin will truncate glorious dream and destiny.
2. The devil. Out of many other reasons you fear is the activities of the devil. The scripture is clear about the fact that the devil is the author of fear. Fear is not just a feeling, but also a spirit. For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2Timothy 1:7 (NKJV)
The Spirit you received does not make you slaves so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship.[f] And by him, we cry, “Abba,[g] Father.” Romans 8:15. These Bible passages show two kinds of spirit. Jesus spoke in the book of John 10:10 that the thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full to summarize the aims of the devil for inflicting men, including Christian with the spirit of fear.
Accordingly, at whatever point you are afraid and apprehensive of nothing knows the devil is at work. The devil is so crafty to make the ordinary situation scary. He meant to wreak our faith, and our resolve to achieve our goal. The devil succeeded with Job and the builder of the fence at the time of Nehemiah.
I cherish the inspiration and revelation of the devil as the reason we feared. You can read “5 lies of Satan that cause us to fear”. According to the writer these lies of the devil include, I can’t, God won’t, nobody cares, I don’t matter, and it’s too late. Each of these lies is enough to kill, steal and destroyed anyone and that is why you must deal with it now
3. Lack of faith: Everything physical was first spiritual, at least in the mind of God or the inventor. The world was in God’s mind before he spoke it into existence. Additionally, the cars, building, and electronics gadget were first in the mind of the innovator before they produced in the physical.
The opposite of faith is fear. You either operate in one and the second becomes your undoing. Since the dream is the picture of your tomorrow. It takes faith to bring it to now. Faithlessness implies you can’t trust God, yourself and people enough to bring about the fulfillment of your dream. Fear destroyed all other Israelite in the wilderness, except two people.
Jesus permitted Peter to walk to Him on the sea, but shifting his face away from Jesus made him start to sinking. In other words, fear is looking at your problem and not God while faith is looking at God, not your problems. So you are fearful because you lack faith.
4. Experience: You’ve heard the statement “experience is the best teacher”. Be that as it may, now and again experience can be a terrible teacher, especially when it comes to fulfilling your dream. Fear races through your spin as soon as you remember how you screwed it the last time. Negative people around will increase your phobia. They will disclose to you how they’ve failed attempts the same.
This was like David’s siblings and King Saul, who tried to talk David out of his dream. In case you forget history, storytellers are on hand to remind you how your parents, siblings and those more experienced than you met with failure. Isaac almost missed out of God’s plan both for himself and his generation when he called to the remembrance of his father’s experience who went to Egypt to escape famine. The LORD appeared to Isaac and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; live in the land where I tell you to live. 3 Stay in this land for a while, and I will be with you and will bless you. Genesis 26:2-3. (NIV)
Bear in mind it is your story and not theirs, we are talking about here. You should not dwell so much on the past to be irrelevant and useless in the presence. According to Jan Smith God built in our capacity for fear or flight in the face of fear. So, you can face your fear.
5. Incompetence: One other causes of fear is incompetence. In a competitive world today, you have every reason to be fearful if you are not competent in whatever you do. Incompetence may arise as a result of lack of information on what you plan to do. At other times it may be lack of adequate training. All these will cast doubt in your mind as to the possibility of you accomplishing the task ahead.
These inadequacies bring with it an inferiority complex among your equals which is one of the reason you fear. Incompetence arises due to lack of readiness to pay the price for adequate training or the self-deceit to get results quickly by cutting corners. So the antidote for fear in this regard is competence.
6. What you hear: One of the reasons you fear will not be unconnected with what you hear.You are a by-product of what you hear. How frequently do we change our choice, view, and reactions based on the information at our disposal? Words are powerful. We form opinions about people, our political leaders, products and services base on information available to us.
What decides the contrast between the individuals who perished in the wilderness among the Israelite and those who made it to the promise land was whose words they listened to and believed? Each war fought began with a statement poorly handled. What we hear affect our sense of judgment and decision. For example, in football matches, the cheer and jeers from the spectators are to achieve something. It is either to spur their team to victory or jeer the opponent to discouragement, despondency, and defeat. On the verge of entering the promised land, negative words from the ten out of the twelve spies derailed the dream of the Israelite from entering the promised land. If you believe you can, then you can.
In any case, the good part is that the choice is yours. You choose what you’ll listen to at any point in your decision making. What you feed yourself spirit man with matters a lot. The sort of music, books, and the company you keep will influence your dream fulfillment or otherwise.
In this way, you should be wary of people with negative and disheartening words and statements. Rather, encircle yourself with people with a positive personality, statement, and disposition.
Share your experience on how you’ve dealt with any of these reasons you fear. What other factors do you know causes fear that I omitted? Share with me in the comment box.
Don’t forget to like my page and share this on your preferred social platform.
Sharing is caring!
Author: Joseph Akinrinola
Joseph Akinrinola is a Pastor, Sunday school management coach, author, blogger, and a motivational speaker.
Joseph created this blog to help young Christians establish their
feet in Christ, and to provide Biblical time-tested answers to life’s
questions about relationship, christian living and personal development.