Most Christians and churches begin the year with fasting and prayer. Some twenty-one days fasting and prayer, while others will go for thirty days and yet some forty days. Nigerians are among the people who observed this yearly prayer ritual. But does prayer and fasting automatically translate to testimonies? Does going through this religious rite put an end to the devil’s work? I am afraid not so. So, what is next after prayer?
Our model, Jesus fasted and prayed for forty days. And Moses equally fasted to receive the Ten Commandments from God. Let’s see what is next after prayer.
- You need to act in faith: Mark 11:23- 24. What is next after prayer is to walk your talk. When you’ve prayed the next thing to do is believe God had answered your prayer. In that vein, rejoice in the victory you’ve received by faith. This you show by confessing positively. Let your fear and doubt go away. Speak positively about your situation. React as though you already have those things you asked in prayer. And at any situation, look at the word of God than your situation. Rejoice, thank God and show a positive disposition to people and the situation that has negatively affected you in the past. Faith is acting on what you believe. So, if you believed God answered your prayer show it in your action.
- Take the needed steps: Immediately after Jesus fasted for forty days, He went out preaching. He recruits the disciples he needed for the ministry. So, if you are an applicant, go in search of jobs, write an application letter to several places, if you’re trusting God for the fruit of the womb, go get babies wares. Pursue those dreams. Compose those songs though you have no record company ready to sign you in. Write books. Go for more training if necessary. That is next after prayer.
It is your effort that the rain of fasting and prayer will water, look at Peter in Acts 3:1-8. Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk. 7 And he took him by the right hand and lifted him up: and immidiately his feet and ankle bones received strength. Acts 3:6-7
. Having spoken the word of faith and healing to the lame man he helped the man up. Jesus fed the five thousand with a small provision, not from zero. The same goes for the wife of the son of the prophet. She acted on Elisha word. She borrows pots from her neighbor. The woman followed the order of the prophet and poured the small oil. What followed was a miracle. If you are lazy, prayer alone will not work; James confirms this in James 2:18
But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. Beloved what is next after prayer is to take action. Imperfect action is better than perfect desire.
- Pray more prayers: The devil is still around. What is next after prayer is to pray because the devil is still around. Your concluded fasting and prayer have not put the devil out of circulation. Read what about Jesus after his temptation. And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season. Luke 4:13. In the next three years, the devil was attacking Jesus. Never go to sleep because you’ve just fasted and prayed. What is next after prayer is for you to pray and fast more and be engaged in more spiritual exercises?
- Network with others. Ask me what is next after prayer, and I will say “networking.”.No one succeeds alone. Jesus knew that that was why he recruited disciples. The wife of the son of the prophet needs her neighbors to get enough pots to perfect her miracle. Jesus needed the launch food of a lad to feed the multitudes. The next thing after prayer is to build a relationship with the surrounding people. Now, the world is a global village through technological you can build a genuine online relationship. Building a relationship means you have to be good. If you want nice people around you, be nice to people.
It is not only the prayer, fasting and speaking in a tongue that will bring clients and customer to you. It is your attitudes that will determine your altitude. If God providence brought people your way, it would be your attitude that will keep them. Most times it is not demons that are driving away clients or customer from some people it is their words and actions. Nabal in the Bible almost lost his family if not for Abigail his wife. 1Samuel 25:1-44
- Give the best service: What is the next thing after prayer? The next thing after prayer is quality service. Now that job is scarce, distinguish yourself in your profession so people can offer you the opportunity. The next thing to do after prayer is to go for further training if need be. Do your work in a modern way. Get current tools that can enhance your efficiency and productivity. Let your work announce you. That is what next to do after prayer.
- Sow a seed: Sometimes what your prayer is waiting for is your seed. It could be in form of money, time or talent. If you don’t know what next to do after prayer, do something in the house of God without being forced. To get an answer to your prayer, help somebody in any little way you can. Do something free for people, for the community and for the kingdom of God.
A few years ago, I translated a seminar paper for one of my spiritual mummy. Though that will not be the first time I will translate or prepare a bible teaching or seminar for people free. But the one this one connected me to an international Christian organization. With that free seed of my talent, I have translated a few books for that organization but with financial benefits. Not only that, today that experience is added to my profile and resume. Free service may be the link between you and divine helper.
- Cultivate the habit of praise. It is natural for all of us to be asking for things. We ask and remind God for what he has not done. But, we often forget to thank him for what he has done. Let us read the prayer of Jesus at Lazarus’ grave. So, they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 I knew that you always hear me, but I said this for the benefit of the people standing here, that they may believe that you sent me.”John 11:41-42. Jesus thanked God for the past prayers God has answered. He believed He would answer this one for His (God) glory. If prayer fails try praises, it works.
As you continue in the year and in your Christian journey, play your part and God will play His part. What is next after prayer demands you understand God’s principle of answering prayers. Thus, what God gave you the capacity to do He wouldn’t do it for you. So if you can believe it, you can receive it.
If you think I forgot something, add them in the comment box. Don’t forget to like my Facebook page and share the post with your friends.
Author: Joseph Akinrinola
Joseph Akinrinola is a Pastor, Sunday school management coach, author, blogger, and a motivational speaker.
Joseph created this blog to help young Christians establish their
feet in Christ, and to provide Biblical time-tested answers to life’s
questions about relationship, christian living and personal development.